Why is proofreading important?
First impressions are everything, especially online. Customers evaluate the credibility of a website within a matter of seconds. Content that’s riddled with typos, errors and inconsistencies harms your brand and loses the customer’s trust. If you want your website to look professional and convince your customers, always get it checked.
Boost your credibility
- Maintain a consistent style and tone of voice across all pages.
- Ensure accuracy in spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Prove to your customer that you take care of the details, both in your text and with your services.
A fresh perspective
- Every page of your website checked with a fresh pair of eyes, including alt text, image captions and links.
- Flag up content that’s out of date or no longer relevant to your goals.
- Check that facts, figures and statistics are accurate and meaningful.
Send a clear message
- Publish perfect copy that’s easy to read and immediately engages visitors.
- Ensure content is free of jargon that could confuse your customer.
- Showcase your services so it’s clear at a glance what you offer and why you’re the best.
Keep it concise
- Make sure content is easy to find and easy to process to keep your customer focussed.
- Ensure sentences are short and simple to engage both humans and search engines.
- Eliminate information that’s repetitive or confusing and leaves your customer cold.
Why do I need a professional proofreader?
Nobody notices a well-written website, but a badly written one stands out a mile. However many times we check our own work, typos and errors will always slip through. Our brains are hardwired to focus on meaning rather than words, so what you see on the screen competes with the version in your head. As a professional proofreader, I’m trained to pay attention to the mechanical aspects of writing and make sure your pages are perfect.
Nicola is a highly professional editor and proofreader, who approaches tasks with diligence and care. She follows briefs assiduously but has the experience and know-how to make informed editorial decisions.
How does it work?
Working with me is straightforward and simple. Here’s what we do:
Agree on a plan
Decide whether you want a straightforward proofread of all your pages, or a more in-depth edit to improve your text.
Send me your stylesheet
I’ll need to know all the rules of your website. If you don’t already have a stylesheet I can help you create one.
Decide on a deadline
I’ll go through all your text with a fine tooth comb, including image captions, alt text and links to make sure it’s perfect.
Who is it for?
This service is ideal for small but growing companies who want to ensure their pages are professional, accurate and consistent. Perhaps your content has evolved over time without a proper stylesheet (I can help you create one). Maybe you suspect there are mistakes in your text but never have time to check.
What does a website 'polish' mean?
A polish is a little more than a proofread. I’ll edit or rewrite your text to make sure that it’s concise and your message is clear. This might include breaking up your content with headings, bullet points or graphics so the text is easier to digest.
Does anyone really notice mistakes on websites?
In a word, yes – and it’s very off-putting. If you’re willing to let mistakes slip through on your website, how can the customer trust you to provide a quality service? Whether you’re writing for a personal or business brand, your grammar, spelling and punctuation represents you in the world. It sends the reader a message about your authority and attention to detail.
Can't I just ask a friend to proofread my website?
Getting a fresh pair of eyes on your website is vitally important but it can be time-consuming. Unless your friend is trained to spot spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes, look for inconsistencies in style and content, and is confident with stylesheets, it’s probably best to ask a professional.
Are you a qualified proofreader?
Yes. I’m a member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading, a professional organisation promoting excellence in English language editing.
Where do I start?
If you’re not sure what you need or where to start, let’s have a chat about your requirements.