What is a content audit?
Content audits are a vital part of your content marketing strategy. Keeping track of your web pages and analysing your data will inform which content you need to create, update, re-write or delete. If your website is relatively simple, you can find out what’s working with a few simple metrics then use the stats to make your pages more appealing and effective.
Define your page structure
- Ensure every page has a unique purpose and plays a part in converting your customers.
- Organize your content so every stage of the user journey is logical and clear.
- Discover pages to be consolidated because of overlapping content.
- Catalogue keywords, word counts and images and compare them to your current page rankings.
- Identify ways to improve your website’s organic search performance.
- Pinpoint which content performs best and generate ideas for the future.
Make your content more efficient
- Repurpose existing content to make sure that it remains fresh and relevant to your business.
- Remove out-of-date content that detracts from your brand’s message.
- Locate any gaps in your content at different stages of your sales funnel.
Improve user experience
- Check for broken links that interrupt the user journey and cause the customer to leave your site.
- Make key information easy to access without too many clicks.
- Break up text with headlines and images that are easy on the eye and easy for the brain to process.
Why do I need a content audit?
Customers are quick to abandon websites that are hard to read and navigate. If you’re not doing a regular content audit, how do you know what’s working and what isn’t? It might seem laborious, but looking at your analytics will ultimately save you time and make your business more successful. I’ll work with you to find out your goals and make a simple plan to improve your website’s performance.
As a small business, it’s easy to ignore things like analytics and content audits. Nicola helped us to analyse our metrics and understand which pages weren’t working as well as they should. It was a surprisingly simple procedure that’s been very effective for improving our content marketing strategy.
How it works
Working with me is straightforward and simple. Here’s what we do:
Establish your goals
This might be to improve your SEO results, increase audience engagement or improve your conversion rate – or all three.
Analyse your content
Analysing your data, I’ll establish your site’s strengths and weaknesses according to your goals.
Make a plan
I’ll draw up a plan to leave, create, merge or improve your pages to boost your site’s performance.
Who is it for?
This service is ideal for small companies who need help with basic analytics. Perhaps your your website isn’t generating the results you need, or you’re not getting as many sales and conversions as you should. Maybe your website is a little dated and could do with a content refresh. Even if your budget doesn’t extend to a full redesign, there are still things you can do to help it perform as well as possible.
Do I really need a content audit?
Think of it like housekeeping. You can put it off for a while, but doesn’t it feel so much better once it’s done? When your website is well organised you’ll feel more confident and in control. This could be as simple as removing old content, fixing broken links and updating your keywords. Giving your website a spring clean makes it easier to maintain, easier for your customers to navigate and easier for search engines to find.
Help! I don't know where to start.
Let’s start with a conversation. First we’ll establish what you want to achieve, then we’ll look at how a content audit might help. It might sound daunting but really it’s just a way to make your website more relevant, effective and engaging.
How long does a content audit take?
That really is an open-ended question. It depends how many pages you want to analyse and how many metrics you want to measure. A very basic content audit could take as little as 15 minutes but in-depth analysis takes much longer.
What should I do next?
Don’t know where to start? Fill out the form and let’s have a chat to see if I can offer what you’re after.